History of BHS                               

Prior to 1931 -

East Berlin students attended Middletown High; Berlin & Kensington students attended New Britain, Meriden or Lewis High School in Southington.

1931  -  

An addition to the Kensington Grammar School is completed to add grades 8 and 9.

1932 -

Grade 10 added.

1934 -

Grade 11 added.

1935 - 

Grade 12 added.   Full high school program offered.

1953 - 

The current High School building on Patterson Way is opened - the original building consists of the upper level courtyard rooms and the B-Gym.

1959 - 

An addition to the high school is constructed to add more classrooms -  essentially adding the rooms surrounding the Lower level courtyard.

1976 -

A major addition to the current high school building is completed, creating the Galvin Media Center, Tech Ed rooms, Science Rooms, Gibney Gym, Boys Locker Rooms, Art Rooms, Music Rooms and the Cafeteria.

1985 - 

Celebration of Berlin High School's Golden Anniversary.

1998 - 

BHS is awarded a 10 year Accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.

2000 - 

A Technology upgrade and handicap code renovation is completed.  Entire school is wired for internet and local area network access.  Computers are installed in each classroom.  PBX Phone system added.  Video distribution system is upgraded.  Handicap accessibility is improved in all classrooms and public areas.

2008 - 

BHS Reaccredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges

2011 - 

BHS Renovation "As New" is approved by the Town  See the Plans for the New School

 2017 -

The BHS Renovate "As New" project is completed in November of 2017.  The renovation updates and improves all classrooms spaces on the second floor including new Science Laboratories, a new greenhouse, and a redecorated senior courtyard.   A reconfiguration of the first floor created space for a new Radio Station, TV studio, Family and Consumer Science labs, English and Social Studies classrooms, a new state-of-the-art Weight Room and Exercise Facility, new Office Spaces for Administration, Guidance, the Athletic Dept. as well as the School Nurse.  The renovation also created the Annex Building which houses new Tech-Ed classrooms and laboratories.  Finally, an enlarged and improved Auditorium was constructed that features state-of-the-art lighting, sound and video capabilities.

 

 

powered by finalsite