Morning News, Wednesday, June 14
Posted 06/14/2017 12:57PM
June 14, 2017
Today is Day 4
The rotation for today is:
TRIMESTER 3 - NORMAL ROTATION SCHEDULE
Today’s lunch is:
Rice, Veggie, Choice of Fruit
Choice of Fruit
TODAY IN HISTORY
• The Continental Army is established in 1775 by the Continental Congress. This is celebrated today as the birthday of the U.S. Army
• The Stars and Stripes is adopted in 1777 as the official flag of the U.S.
• Survivors of the mutiny on the Bounty arrive in Timor in 1789 after travelling 4600 miles in an open boat
• Charles Babbage proposes in 1822 what may be the first computer, a device to compute astronomical and mathematical tables
• Hawaii becomes a US Territory in 1900
• Pennsylvania becomes in 1937 the first (and only) state to celebrate Flag Day as a state holiday
• Paris comes under German occupation in 1940
• Today is the given date in 1947 for the Roswell, NM incident involving an alleged UFO
• The computer UNIVAC I is dedicated in 1951
• The keel is laid in 1952 for the nuclear submarine and official ship of Connecticut USS Nautilus
TODAY IN HISTORY
• President Eisenhower signs in 1954 legislation adding “under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance
• The Disneyland Monorail opens in 1959
• Harriet Beecher Stowe, novelist (1811)
• Alois Alzheimer, physician (1864)
• Arthur Davis, Warner Brothers animator (1905)
• Burl Ives, musician (1909)
• Ernesto “Che” Gueverra, revolutionary (1928)
• Joe Arpaio, sheriff & TV figure (1932)
• Donald Trump, entrepreneur (1946)
• Harry Turtledove, novelist (1949)
• Flag Day (US)
• U.S. Army Birthday (US)
• World Blood Donor Day
Students interested in photographing the May Madness Championship games on Thursday should speak with Mr. Cormack no later than today.
Please clean out all band lockers and check in with Mrs. Bradshaw.
THURSDAY MORNING: June 15th: PEP BAND will be playing for all 3 basketball games. Report to band room at 7:30am.
FRIDAY MORNING: June 16th: Pep Band & Brass group is playing for promotion FRIDAY, 8:15am meet out front.
This is an announcement comes to you from the Art Department :
If you've been checking the web site
or have walked by a giant drawing of Simon, you already know about our Open House Portrait Exhibit.
This afternoon drop by between the hours of 2:30 and 7pm. This is a very casual event : come as your are and perhaps you should bring that family! :)
The show stretches from the Main Office hallway and moves all the way to the Music / FCS hallway. There is also a surprise bonus show in a nearby stairwell.
All are welcome to this unique show! Hope to see you there.