The Catherine M. McGee Middle School Art Department provides students with an exceptional art education through experiences that are fun, rewarding and challenging. During this period of transition we build on knowledge and skills acquired at the elementary level, experiencing new studio techniques processes, while preparing for more sophisticated experiences in later years. At the Middle School level each student is encouraged to cultivate knowledge about art, powers of observation; perceptual, analytical and technical skills, and creativity. Our intent is to encourage an imaginative and creative approach to problem solving, and to develop self-discipline and confidence.
- To develop an understanding of the elements and principals of art.
- To provide an atmosphere conducive to creativity.
- To develop an appreciation for the historical and cultural understanding of art, including an appreciation for specific modern and historical artiststs.
- To introduce art methods, techniques and materials in the fields of drawing, painting, and sculpture.
- To establish an awareness of art as a career.
- To provide experiences which correlates art with other disciplines.
- To foster art as a personal expression of ideas, values and emotions
- To stimulate interests which may be practiced in students’ leisure time.