The primary role of the school nurse is to promote student learning. The school nurse accomplishes this by collaborating with administrators to implement strategies that promote student and staff health and safety.
Parent communications with the school nurse is vital to the health and safety of the student.
The role of the school nurse includes:
- Health Services – Serves as the coordinator of the Health Services Program and provides nursing care
- Health Education – Provides health education to students, staff and parents.
- Healthy Environment – Identifies health and safety concerns in the school environment and promotes a nurturing social environment.
- Nutritional Services –Supports healthy food service programs.
- Health Counseling/Mental Health- Provides health counseling, assesses mental health needs, provides interventions and refers students to appropriate school staff or community agencies.
- Parent/Community Involvement- Promotes community involvement in assuring a healthy school.
- Staff Wellness-Provides health education and counseling; promote healthy activities and environment for school staff.
To assist us in meeting your child’s health needs, please contact the nurse at your school with any health questions you may have.