BHS News Archive
BHS Blood Drive - Tuesday March 14, 2018
Did you know that every two seconds, someone in the US needs blood? The BHS Red Cross Club will host a blood drive, on Wednesday, March 14, from 8-1 in the B gym. A sign-up sheet is posted outside of Miss Cassello's office - 12c - next to the school store, or you can email her, with a time, and she will add you to the sign-up sheet. You must be at least 17, over 110 lbs, and come with two forms of valid ID. We hope to see you there! For more information about giving blood Click Here
Here are some fun facts about blood donation
Facts about blood needs
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.69 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2017. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.